Pricing does not include applicable freight, setup, or documentation fees.
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
Cool, low, long, ultra stylish – all these adjectives fit the Vulcan® 1700 Vaquero™ plus one more – plenty functional. This bagger, introduced just last year into the Vulcan cruiser line, proves that practicality and cool can co-exist on the same bike. Its aggressive and muscular styling makes any Vaquero rider stand out from the crowd. And with a powerful 1,700cc engine, electronic cruise control and full-featured audio system, the Vaquero begs to be taken out on the open road.
• Liquid-cooled 1,700cc V-twin puts out loads of torque
• 6-speed transmission allows for relaxed cruising
• Electronic throttle actuation system ensures optimized injector timing and throttle valve position, resulting in an accurate, powerful engine response
• Electronic cruise control maintains speed for more comfort on long trips
• Frame-mounted front fairing directs aerodynamic forces to the chassis to keep steering feel light
• Unique “muscle car” styled instrumentation keeps the rider fully informed
• Audio system has FM, AM and WX and is compatible with iPod, XM tuner, or CB radio
• Aggressive and muscular cruiser styling from end to end
• Twin tapered mufflers maximize saddlebag capacity
• Low seat height with sporty one-piece seat contributes to long, low classic cruiser look
• Aggressive black-out look and strong colors emphasize the simple character of the body shapes
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
• Liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
• Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke dimensions deliver high torque levels with a distinct V-twin feel
• Valve-actuation system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid-high rpm power
• Semi-dry sump design allows lower crankshaft positioning and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
• Single-pin crankshaft accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing strong power pulses
• Large-capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
• Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
• Engine tuning, combined with long-stroke design, offers superior acceleration in the 50-70 mph range
• Even in overdrive (5th and 6th gear) the engine pulls strongly, making highway passing easier
Electronic Throttle Valve System
• Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
• Optimized injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
• Control of both injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
• From the rider’s perspective, the ETV system works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip remains connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
• Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body, which triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
• Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
• APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
Electronic Cruise Control System
• System maintains a desired speed even on uphill climbs
• Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
• Cruise system can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
• Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal automatically disengages the cruise control, as does manually rolling off the throttle
On Board Diagnostics
• Diagnostic system allows self testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
• System displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner
6-speed Transmission / Final Drive
• Durable and easy-shifting six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder
• 5th and 6th are overdrive gears for excellent fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
• Carbon fiber-reinforced final drive belt offers a 40 percent increase in tensile strength compared to current Kevlar belts
• Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
45mm Telescopic Fork
• Provides superb steering feedback
• 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
• Optimized damping and spring settings for a plush but controlled ride
Dual Air-adjustable Rear Shocks
• Air-adjustable shocks can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
• 4-way rebound damping adjustability helps the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
9-Spoke Cast Aluminum Wheels
• Light and strong wheels allow the use of tubeless tires, while flat black paint nicely complements the Vaquero’s styling treatment
• Fat and long-wearing 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
• Tire choice and suspension settings augment the chassis’ light handling characteristics
Styling and Bodywork
• Basic engine architecture supports the Vaquero’s factory-custom look, while its blacked-out color with machined and bare-aluminum accents sets off the bike’s color scheme
• Gloss and matte finishes on the engine highlight aesthetics even further
• Hand-formed body-part shapes create a highly customized appearance
• Many of the parts are exclusive to the Vaquero, which add to its factory-custom look and feel. These include the engine shrouds, rear fender, one-piece side covers, saddlebags, fairing and seat
• Cut-down fairing looks like a true custom piece, right down to the abbreviated smoked windscreen and headlight cover
• Louvre-style fog lamp covers can be replaced with accessory lamps
• Sculpted strut covers seamlessly fill the space between the rear fender and saddlebags
• Mufflers are tapered at their ends for a thoroughly retro look
• Sculpted, custom-look seat looks good and cradles the rider for maximum comfort
• LED taillight is attractive and highly conspicuous when lit for added safety
• Large, wide fairing with abbreviated windscreen and integrated lowers provides substantial wind and weather protection for riders
• With the fairing mounted to the frame, any wind buffeting is transferred to the bike rather than the handlebar, helping to enhance highway stability and reduce rider fatigue
• The Vaquero features hard, lockable and sealed side-opening side cases that provide nearly 10 gallons of storage space each for overnight touring
• Their flowing, rounded shape is an attractive alternative to the square, boxy luggage found on other bagger models
• Up front, lockable glove boxes provide a handy place for storing smaller items
• Dual under-seat helmet holders
Classic Custom Dashboard / Advanced Audio
• Instrument layout and large round dials give the Vaquero’s console a custom look with a retro flavor
• The radio/stereo unit features a classically custom look from the 1960s
• Multi-function LCD display in the center of the instrument console is controlled by switches on the right handlebar. Features include a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
• Analog displays include speedometer, tachometer and coolant temperature gauge
• Audio system with twin speakers features radio (FM/AM/WX) and compatibility with optional iPod®, XM tuner or CB radio units
• The audio system (and your iPod, which plugs easily into the left fairing pocket) can be operated by switches on the left handlebar
• Ignition switch allows key removal in the on position, which prevents keys from damaging the black finish tank cover during operation
• Turning the ignition switch collar to the ACC position allows accessories to be used while the engine is off; turning it to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
• Sculpted seat blends a stylish shape with ideal foam density for all-day comfort
• Scooped shape allows an easy reach to the ground
• Upright riding position and rubber-topped floorboards contribute to substantial riding comfort
• Dual adjustable rear air-shocks use settings optimized for a compliant ride and higher-load carrying when needed
• 5.3-gallon fuel tank offers a substantial range, helping to minimize fuel stops when out on the open road
• Kawasaki offers a large number of optional accessories, including iPod connector, XM radio module, standard gel seat, dual gel saddle, saddlebag liners, auxiliary lights, DC power sockets, GPS mount, billet handlebar clamps, engine cover trim, saddlebag top rails, custom cover and more. See your Kawasaki dealer for more information
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52 deg. V-twin
- Displacement: 1,700cc / 103.7ci
- Bore x Stroke: 102 x 104 mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Maximum Torque: 108 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm
- Cooling System: Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Induction: Digital fuel injection, dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- Transmission: 6-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Frame Type: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
- Rake/Trail: 30 deg. / 7.0 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 45 mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90x16
- Rear Tire Size: 170/70x16
- Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Overall length: 98.8 in.
- Overall width: 38.2 in.
- Overall height: 50.8 in.
- Seat height: 28.7 in.
- Curb weight: 835.7 lb.
- Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Color Choices: Candy Plasma Blue
- Warranty: 36 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24 or 36 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52 deg. V-twin
- Bore and Stroke
- 102 x 104 mm
- Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- TCBI with Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 45 mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 65.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 28.7 in.
- 30 deg.
- 7.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal.
- Dry Weight
- 835.7 lb.
- 6-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Standard: Analog
- Standard: Analog
- Candy Plasma Blue
- 36 months